De Wet’s Huis Photo Museum – De Wet’s Huis Photo Museum has a collection of black and white photos and furniture from the town’s booming fishing days, housed in a historic schoolhouse. The building was originally the Dutch Reformed Church Sunday school building and it was dismantled piece by piece, numbered, and transported to its present site in 1983. The reconstruction was completed in 1987.
Today De Wet’s Huis Photo Museum houses a collection of very old photographs of Hermanus going back to 1875. Many of the characters of the formative days of Hermanus are among those photographed, as well as many buildings that sadly are no longer here.
The photos cover the old harbour as far back as 1875, Transport (including hard rim wheeled buses that travelled from Hermanus to Bot Rivier), Old Hermanus, Fashion, and Bathing, Tea gardens, Hotels, Fishing and other pastimes.
Museums – Elizabeth – 028 312 1475 / firstname.lastname@example.org www.old-harbour-museum.co.za